So much more than just a car...


This post is about a companion in my adventures - easy and daunting, my steed in mucky terrains and smooth, a reliable friend who sometimes remorselessly burns a hole in my pocket - my car, Abhimanyu .
As I sit down to collect my thoughts, I smile at the fond memories of the time we spent in each other’s company.
2 years ago, I had enrolled for driving lessons at a local driving school who would take me through the process of obtaining an Indian drivers license along with fixed real -time driving kms/hours. I attended the classes quite regularly - with the instructor beside - the clutch, brake and accelarator shared amicably between us. Sure the car moved along the lanes slowly, and stopped rightly at the signals, but could I drive a car on my own ?
I brought this point up during a conversation with the branch manager of my bank who is also a friend - she suggested that it helps greatly if you can practice on your own car everyday for some time.
That really set the gears of my brains in motion - some money I had diligently saved up was soon going to be available for spending...I could get a car !
The idea was soon shared with the parents. It was mutually agreed that I would wait till their next visit to my city - after which a car would be chosen which would match my requirements while fitting into my budget.
Fast forward to Navratri 2016, my father located a white wagon R whose innards were in a reasonably decent shape and which was in a good condition from outside.
He proudly presented it in front of the rest of us for evaluation.
Initially, I didn't quite like it because it was white and had a luggage carrier on top. I soon learnt that it was because the CNG cylinder occupied all luggage room in the dickie.
The car apparently ran on both fuels - petrol and CNG - this key feature distinguished it from other cars. Eventually I ended up buying it mostly convinced by the arguments presented by my father and also because I could not spare any time to check out other available options.

This is how my humble and smart Abhimanyu drove himself into my life.

How he got his name deserves special mention too. Names of many famous steeds, real and mythical, were considered and rejected.  ‘Abhimanyu’ won due to the mighty courage and youthful exuberance of the name-bearer over Alexander’s ‘Bucephalus’ (too Greek), Indra’s ‘Airavat’ (too Airy), Rana Pratap’s ‘Chetak’ (already taken!)
Later when we were chided for going round and round in circles, unable to get out of Magarpatta city, the joke hidden in this name wasn’t lost on us!

Our first days together were bumpy with jerky starts and embarrassing stops in the middle of the road. But with our hearts in our mouth , mama beside us, we set out on every morning of that cold December on a 10 km ride on any direction from where we started.

Nowadays, when the cafe’s are too crowded and the home is too silent, I seek refuge in its cosy confines, sinfully munching on fries. And when the rains threaten to wilt my half-burnt cigarette midway, I run into the safe haven under its roof!

When we stop at a signal, looking at the world from the window, I remember to be thankful many times. My favourite fragrance smells refreshingly beautiful in its warmth, the occasional bottle of rose finds its place beside the driving wheel.

And in it I have driven my parents, a grandparent, cousins, an aunt and friends to and from the airport and around my city.
It has been my companion on visits to my favourite stationary stores and monthly grocery binges. It has been my personal tempo when I have moved houses (twice).
It is my modest ride to work and classes. 

And though the memories of the numerous rides in auto rickshaws complete with epic conversations with auto wallahs will always be special - they won’t take the place of the bond of friendship that I have formed with Abhimanyu

In other news, the rains have been unrelenting - since last night, they've poured continuously.
It has suddenly turned chilly outside - weather forecasts highly recommend the following :
1 - Remain indoors, as far as possible refrain from stepping out of your doorstep.
2 - Your looniest, most embarrassing, whackiest pair of socks can come out of the closet - quite literally, to warm your feet.
3 - curl up your toes with a cup of piping hot coffee warming your hands as you sink into your all-time favorite books or movies
Or if you are particularly inspired, write a letter to your car saying how much you've grown to love him.

Comments

Popular Posts